Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Radon poisoning...did you know?
Radon gas - You can't see, smell, or taste radon but radon in the home may be a problem for you. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, and the 6th leading cause of cancer in the U.S. overall. Only about 15% of lung cancer patients live more than 5 years.
Radon comes from the natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water, entering the air you breathe. It can infiltrate any type of building - homes, offices, and schools - and build up to high levels. But you and your family will most likely receive your greatest exposure where you spend most of your time... your home.
The EPA and Surgeon General recommend conducting a radon test on all homes, second floor and below. The EPA also recommends that schools test radon level.
Learn more here: http://www.indoor-air-health-advisor.com/radon-poisoning.html
You can purchase inexpensive, at-home test kits here: http://www.radonzone.com