How is your company going to compete in the world? If you can't compete with low-cost labor, you have to compete with innovations. How to innovate? Here are some ideas:
- Balance revolutionary with very useful.
- Incorporate big and small ideas.
- The goal of the innovator is to have a positive impact on your company, your country and yourself.
- Innovation, like growing up, sometimes needs to get done in the midst of adversity.
- Remember, the transistor was invented by three people, not 30,000. The laser was invented by two.
- Innovative ideas start small.
- Never lose sight of the actual goal of innovation: not new technology, but what new technology can deliver to us - awareness, insight, interaction. And freedom.
- Excerpted from a Fast Company interview with Jeong Kim, President, Bell Labs